Your home and possessions are more than important, they represent your life and achievements.
Everyone hopes what they have worked so hard for will never be in jeopardy, but, unfortunately, sometimes it happens. And if it does, not having the proper insurance coverage just makes a bad situation worse.
Your home or contents have been damaged . . . what now?
- Call the police immediately if the damage was caused by vandalism or theft.
- Protect your property from further damage as best you can. If necessary, do simple repairs required to prevent additional damage.
- Get in touch with your broker right away.
- Contact your bank if your claim involves loss of a credit card.
A few tips to help you avoid damage to your home and contents:
- Check your smoke detectors and change the batteries at least twice a year.
- Have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Have fuel oil storage tanks checked yearly for leaks or corrosion.
- Do not, ever, smoke in bed.
- Check that all stove elements are turned off whenever you leave the house.
- Record the serial numbers of valuable personal property and keep them safe with your personal papers.
- If you go on vacation when the temperature could fall below freezing, turn off the water and drain the system, or arrange for someone to check your house daily.
Policyholders can contact their Broker contact their Broker, to report weekend or after hours claims which require immediate attention, or use our toll free 24/7 Emergency Claims Service at 1-877-280-3030.